Tuesday, June 9, 2009

a really good meal...


Since arriving in Paris, I have been sampling several local favorites: baguette, pastries, cheese, bread, cheese, pastries, crepes, paninis, cheese, baguette, sandwiches, pastries, Nutella (my friends and I have lovingly have named it, "crack in chocolate form"), wine, cheese, baguette, pastries, bread, bread, bread. Noticing a pattern?

Yes, I love the food I've been eating here. It's really delicious, honestly. However, I have come to learn that the French tend to steer away from variety, and they really are fond of their painand fromage. They tend to eat different vegetables than I'm used to having (not bad, just different), and they also aren't big on salads like we are in the U.S., so I really just want a big American salad sometimes...or a fruit smoothie...or some chai...but I'm getting away from my point.

Anyway, last Wednesday was our friend, Judy's, birthday. We decided we wanted an authentic French meal (I guess I'm not sick of French food just yet...) from a nice restaurant. We did our research online with the food blog of an American chef/food critic, and we picked one of his recommendations. It was delicious, and very French. However, it was still a great change to the multitudes of carbs we've all been eating.

[Okay, but before I go on criticizing French cuisine...which I'm not trying to do...let me note my favorite thing that the U.S. really need to work on: FRESHNESS. I love the fact that very few things here have preservatives and that everyone goes to the store almost every day to get what they need. It's very different. They don't buy in bulk, and the food itself is just...better.] Okay, I'm done. Picture time.


Oh, and I tried patee? (I don't even know how to spell it, it's so foreign to me...) I could've opted for the salad, but we all decided to be brave and go for the true French experience. Mine was made out of fish...scrumptious, eh? I'll admit I wasn't fond of it, but it wasn't terrible...I think we all put up with it because it was the first course, and we were hungry...

Anne and Judy (the birthday girl, with her ridiculous face and meringue dessert)

the amazing chocolate cake surrrrrounded in some sort of cream sauce = the best part of the entire meal

just some cute little street we passed on our walk back to the metro stop, typical happening in Paris :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment