Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Quelques images pour vous...







Salut!

Today was our first day of orientation. Basically, that meant A LOT of information thrown at us
 for hours, all in French. However, I understood almost all of it, so I'm thinking that's something to be proud of.

After orientation, I went on a short guided tour of Montmartre. This is an area in the northern part of the city that is known for being an area where a lot of artists, both famous and unknown, have lived...and still reside. Furthermore, if you've seen the movie Amelie, this is where it was based. I went with a group of about 15 of us IES students. So the following are my first pictures of Paris. Fret not, there will be many more, and many more *fun* shots on days when it's not so chilly and I'm not on a guided tour...

Okay, I'm not sure how the photos are going to show up, but I'll start explaining.

1) La Basilique de Sacré Coeur!!!!!!!!! This was pretty surreal to actually be standing in front of it. We didn't have time to go in, but I'm definitely going to go back and visit again.

2) A gorgeous view of the city as we descended the many, many steps of Montmartre. I've heard it's better than the view from the Eiffel Tower...

3) A man trying to go through a wall! It's a representation of a character from a short novel by some famous French writer (can you tell my brain was fried by this time of the day?)

4) Le Moulin de la Galette: a windmill/now restaurant in Montmartre. There are 3 windmills in the area, all aligned for...the creation of a sort of wind tunnel effect? You know what I mean...I think this one grinds wheat. Another churned grapes to make wine.

5) Le Mur "Je t'aime": the "I love you" wall at Montmartre. It has "I love you" written in several (or all?) languages. It's pretty darn cool...

6) for my American friends. I miss you all!



No comments:

Post a Comment